Sites With Usable Sustainability Curriculum Material.
- Multidisciplinary Sustainability Modules
- Sustainability Improves Student Learning (SISL): Teaching Sustainability in Mathematics/QR
- NOAA Ocean & coasts education resources and the Marine Debris Program page may be useful.
- EPA Lesson Plans, Teacher Guides, and Online Resources for Educators
- Ozone Hole Watch from NASA includes materials for middle school through college.
Sites with Data
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics from the Department of Transportation has transportation data. For example the National Transportation Statistics page has data on vehicle counts (table 1-11), miles (table 1-40), and sales of hybrid vehicles (table 1-19). There is a noticeable drop in vehicle miles and counts after the 2008 recession that we haven't recovered from. Excel files are available with the data.
- Economic Policy Institute's State of Working America Data Library includes excel file of employment and wage data by race and gender.
- FRED The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis offers a wealth of economic data and information to promote economic education and enhance economic research. The widely used database FRED is updated regularly and allows 24/7 access to regional and national financial and economic data.
- Gapminder Gapminder is an independent Swedish foundation with no political, religious or economic affiliations. Gapminder is a fact tank, not a think tank. Gapminder produces free teaching resources making the world understandable based on reliable statistics.
- GeoFRED® allows you to create, customize, and share geographical maps of data found in FRED®. Easily access the details and adjust how the data are displayed. You can also transform the data and download it according to geographic category and time frame.
- NOAA Global Monitoring Division contains a variety of data sets and tools related to the atmosphere.
- OpenEI is growing into a global leader in the energy data realm - specifically analyses on renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- World Bank World Development Indicators and Sustainable Development Goals.
Scientific Reports and Background Information
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment
- Ecological Impacts of Climate Change National Academies Report. This page includes power point slides for educators.
- EPA Climate Change Indicators in the U.S.
- Global Warming Impacts by the Union of Concerned Scientist.
- Climate Change in the Northeast pdf report and main Northeast page, by Union of Concerned Scientist.
- Global warming in the Western U.S., by the Union of Concerned Scientist.
- U.S. Global Change Research Program Documents including a report on the impacts in the U.S.
- Understanding and Responding to Climate Change, National Academies Reports
- Earth Policy Institute Eco-Economy Indicators: Trends to Track (regular reports on key issues can be automatically sent to you email - scroll to the bottom)
- Joint Science Academies' Statement: Energy Sustainability and Security (June 2006)
Other Useful Sites for Information
- Space Math @ NASA There are a number of useful earth/space/math type problems although mostly for k-12 you might find something valuable depending on what you are teaching. Be sure to look under Additional Resources -> Problem Books.
- Data resources from the Earth Policy Institute - Go to the Data Center or to eco-economy indicators under publications. Lots of data sets and charts available here!
- Country Energy Profiles produced by EIA
- Sign up for Energy Updates from the EIA
- EPA Climate Change Page
- Data.gov The purpose of Data.gov is to increase public access to high value, machine readable data sets generated by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government.
- Energy Information for Kids This page is geared towards kids but it is useful for adults too.
- The World Top Incomes Database You can get income inequality data and generate graphs.